Main Article Content
Age – related sleep changes are common symptoms in elderly and are related to various factors including physiologic factor, sleep habits, comorbid diseases, and also drug side effect. Screening for primary sleep disorder, comorbid diseases, and mental diseases such as depression and anxiety are essential. Managing insomnia is challenging because it may require comprehensive assessment to make precise diagnosis and also several treatment needed such as lifestyle changes, controlling comorbid disease, non pharmacological interventions as first line treatment, and then pharmacological interventions regarding efficacy, acceptability tolerability, and adverse events of the drugs.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Albrecht U, Ripperger JA. Circadian Clocks and Sleep: Impact of Rhythmic Metabolism and Waste Clearance on the Brain. Trends Neuro-sci. 2018 Oct;41(10):677–88.
3. Zhang MM, Ma Y, Du LT, Wang K, Li Z, Zhu W, et al. Sleep disorders and non-sleep circadian disorders predict depression: A systematic re-view and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Neurosci Biobehav Rev [Internet]. 2022;134(June 2021):104532.
4. Suzuki K, Miyamoto M, Hirata K. Sleep disor-ders in the elderly: Diagnosis and management. J Gen Fam Med. 2017 Apr;18(2):61–71.
5. Yaffe CE et al. Connections between sleep and cognition in older adults. Lancet Neurol. 2014:13(10):1017-1028.
6. Ferini-Strambi L, Rinaldi F, Giora E, Marelli S, Galbiati A. REM sleep Behaviour Disorder. Park Relat Disord [Internet]. 2016;22:S69–72. Avail-able from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2015.09.002
7. Roepke SK, Ancoli-Israel S. Sleep disorders in the elderly. Indian J Med Res. 2010 Feb;131:302–10.
8. Association AP. Diagnostic and statistical manu-al of mental disorders. 5th ed. Airlington: APA; 2013.
9. Brewster et al. Insomnia in the Older Adult. Sleep Med Clin. 2018; 13(1) ; 13 – 19.
10. Irwin MR, Carrillo C, Sadeghi N, Bjurstrom MF, Breen EC, Olmstead R. Prevention of Incident and Recurrent Major Depression in Older Adults with Insomnia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2022;79(1):33–41.
11. Dong Y, et al. 2019. Insomnia symptoms pre-dict both future hypertension and depression. Prev. Med. 123, 41-47.
12. Tasali E, Wroblewski K, Kahn E, Kilkus J, Schoeller DA. Effect of Sleep Extension on Objectively Assessed Energy Intake Among Adults With Overweight in Real-life Settings A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2022;182(4):365–70.
13. Kamel NS et al. Insomnia in the elderly: cause, approach, and treatment. Am J Med. 2006; 119: 463-9.
14. Patel et al. Insomnia in the Elderly : A Review. J Clin Sleep Med. 2018; 14(6):1017-1024.
15. Shokrollah M, Krishnan S. A review of sleep disorder diagnosis by electromyogram signal analysis. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2015;43(1):1–20Gehrman P, Ancoli-Israel S. Insomnia in the elderly. Insomnia Diagnosis Treat. 2016;224–34.
16. Qaseem A, et al. Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. Man-agement of chronic insomnia disorder in adults : a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165(2):125-133.
17. Roehrs et al. Gender differences in the efficacy and the safety of chronic nightly zolpidem. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016;12:319-25.
18. Shash D et al. Benzodiazepine, psychotropic medication, and dementia: a population-based cohort study. Alzheimers Dement. 2016;12:604-13.
19. Owen RT. Suvorexant : efficacy and safety pro-file of a dual orexin receptor antagonist in treat-ing insomnia. Drugs Today. 2016;52(1):29-40.
20. Oda S et al. Fall rate research of Z-drug and benzodiazepine. J New Rem & Clin. 2015;64:1468-73.
21. Samara MT, Huhn M, Chiocchia V, Schneider-Thoma J, Wiegand M, Salanti G, et al. Efficacy, acceptability, and tolerability of all available treatments for insomnia in the elderly: a sys-tematic review and network meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2020;142(1):6–17.
22. De Crescenzo F, D’Alò GL, Ostinelli EG, Ciabattini M, Di Franco V, Watanabe N, et al. Comparative effects of pharmacological interventions for the acute and long-term management of insomnia disorder in adults: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet. 2022;400(10347):170–84.