Main Article Content
Vitamin E has many functions for the human body. The role of vitamin E in the skin includes being an antioxidant, maintaining skin moisture, protection against sunlight, and the process of wound healing. Sources of vitamin E can be obtained from vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, meat and milk. Vitamin E deficiency can result from food intake or absorption disorders. Impaired absorption of fat such as cystic fibrosis, Crohn's disease, can cause deficiency because the carrier of vitamin E is fat. This can also affect the protective function of cell membranes against free radicals to influence organ systems. Vitamin E therapy can be both topical and systemic. Topical vitamin E used as a component of skin products has anti-inflammatory and antiproliferative effects in concentrations ranging from 2 to 20%. Vitamin E in oral form is D-α tocopherol, with an oral dose of between 50 IU and 1000 IU per day.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Shapiro SS, Saliou C. Role of vitamins in skin care. Nutrition. 2001;17(10):839-844. doi:10.1016/s0899-9007(01)00660-8
3. Yan, Albert. Cutaneus Changes in Nutritional Disease. In : Kang S, Amagai M, Bruckner AL, Enk AH, Margolis DJ, Michael AJ, Orringer JS editors. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, 9th ed. New York, McGraw Hill. 2019 : 2211
4. Mahan LK, Raymond JL. Krause's food & the nutrition care process-e-book. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2016 May 17.
5. Gerald F. The vitamins fundamental aspects in nutrition and Health. Third edition. California Elsevier 2008. Page 181-208
6. Friedrich MJ. To E or not to E, vitamin E's role in health and disease is the question. Jama. 2004 Aug 11;292(6):671-3.
7. Rizvi S, Raza ST, Ahmed F, et al. The role of vitamin e in human health and some diseases. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014;14(2):e157-e165.
8. Evans E, Piccio L, Cross AH. Use of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Patients With Multiple Sclerosis: A Review [published correction appears in JAMA Neurol. 2018 Aug 1;75(8):1028]. JAMA Neurol. 2018;75(8):1013-1021. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.0611.
9. Thiele JJ, Ekanayake-Mudiyanselage S. Vitamin E in human skin: organ-specific physiology and considerations for its use in dermatology. Mol Aspects Med. 2007;28(5-6):646-667. doi:10.1016/j.mam.2007.06.001.
10. Lamid A. Vitamin E Sebagai Antioksidan. Puslitbang Gizi Bogor. 1995. Media Litbangkes Vol V No 01.
11. Nagendran B, Unnithan UR, Choo YM, et al. Characteristics of red palm oil, a carotene-and vitamin E–rich refined oil for food uses. Food and nutrition bulletin. 2000;21(2):189-94.
12. Ijaz M, Akhtar N. Fatty acids based α‐Tocopherol loaded nanostructured lipid carrier gel: In vitro and in vivo evaluation for moisturizing and anti‐aging effects. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2020 Mar 4.
13. Montenegro L. Nanocarriers for skin delivery of cosmetic antioxidants. Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmacognosy Research.2014:2(4), 73–92.
14. Oresajo C, Stephens T, Hino PD, et al. Protective effects of a topical antioxidant mixture containing vitamin C, ferulic acid, and phloretin against ultraviolet-induced photodamage in human skin. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2008;7(4):290-297. doi:10.1111/j.1473-2165.2008.00408.x
15. Keller KL, Fenske NA. Uses of vitamins A, C, and E and related compounds in dermatology: a review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1998 Oct 1;39(4):611-25.
16. Hobson R. Vitamin E and wound healing: an evidence‐based review. International Wound Journal. 2016 Jun;13(3):331-5.
17. Nachbar F, Korting HC. The role of vitamin E in normal and damaged skin. Journal of Molecular Medicine. 1995 Jan 1;73(1):7-17.
18. Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, et al. Skin anti-aging strategies. DermatoEndocrinology. 2012. 4(3):308–319.
19. Ong TS, Chu CC, Tan CP, et al. Preparation and Evaluation Pumpkin Seed Oil-based Vitamin E Cream Formulations for Topical Application. Journal of Oleo Science. 2020;69(4):297-306.
20. Shoemaker S. 2020. Vitamin E toxicity: all you need to know. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-e-overdose, diakses pada 12 Oktober 2021 pukul 19.00