Main Article Content
The prevalence of sensorineural hearing loss was around 0.07% to 5.2% and increased with age. Cohlear implant was one of the modality to improve hearing function. Cochlear implant produce the electrical impulse needed for hearing. External sound was captured by the processor to be delivered to internal implant. In general, the implant was indicated for severe bilateral sensorineural hearing loss which cannot be improved with other hearing aids. The implantation procedure was relatively safe with minor and infrequent complication of vestibular disorder. The other complication was mostly iatrogenic. Despite the rare complication, the improvement of hearing and quality of life after the implantation depend on the patients, relatives and multidicsciplinary team. Cochlear implant was recommended for sensorineural hearing loss. Apart from the successful implantation, the hearing improvement tremendously depend on the patient, patients’ relatives and multidisciplinary team.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Manrique M, Ramos Á, de Paula Vernetta C, Gil-Carcedo E, Lassaletta L, Sanchez-Cuadrado I, et al. Guideline on cochlear implants. Acta Otor-rinolaringol Esp. 2019;70(1):47–54.
3. Bailey , Johnson, Jonas T., Newlands, Shawn D.,, BJ. Head & neck surgery--otolaryngology. Phila-delphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006.
4. Hall JE. Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 13th Edition. elsivier Health Sciences; 2020.
5. Sataloff RT. Sataloff’s Comprehensive Textbook of Otolaryn-gology: Head & Neck Surgery: Six Volume Set, Jaypee Brothers. Medical Publish-ers Pvt. Limited; 2015.
6. Brown KD, Balkany TJ. Benefits of bilateral cochlear implantation: a review. Curr Opin Oto-laryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Oct;15(5):315–8.
7. Gordon KA, Wong DDE, Papsin BC. Cortical function in children receiving bilateral cochlear implants simultaneously or after a period of in-terimplant delay. Otol Neurotol Off Publ Am Otol Soc Am Neurotol Soc [and] Eur Acad Otol Neurotol. 2010 Oct;31(8):1293–9.
8. Kraaijenga VJC, Derksen TC, Stegeman I, Smit AL. The effect of side of implantation on unilat-eral cochlear implant performance in patients with prelingual and postlingual sensorineural hearing loss: A systematic review. Clin Oto-laryngol Off J ENT-UK ; Off J Netherlands Soc Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Cerv-fac Surg. 2018 Apr;43(2):440–9.
9. Pillsbury HC 3rd, Dillon MT, Buchman CA, Staecker H, Prentiss SM, Ruckenstein MJ, et al. Multicenter US Clinical Trial With an Electric-Acoustic Stimulation (EAS) System in Adults: Final Outcomes. Otol Neurotol Off Publ Am Otol Soc Am Neurotol Soc [and] Eur Acad Otol Neu-rotol. 2018 Mar;39(3):299–305.
10. Helbig S, Adel Y, Rader T, Stöver T, Bau-mann U. Long-term Hearing Preservation Out-comes After Cochlear Implantation for Electric-Acoustic Stimulation. Otol Neurotol Off Publ Am Otol Soc Am Neurotol Soc [and] Eur Acad Otol Neurotol. 2016 Oct;37(9):e353-9.
11. Yanov Y, Kuzovkov V, Sugarova S, Levin S, Lilenko A, Kliachko D. Successful application and timing of a remote network for intraopera-tive objective measurements during cochlear implantation surgery. Int J Audiol. 2018 Sep;57(9):688–94.
12. Messersmith JJ, Entwisle L, Warren S, Scott M. Clinical Practice Guidelines: Cochlear Im-plants. J Am Acad Audiol. 2019;30(10):827–44.
13. Brodie A, Smith B, Ray J. The impact of re-habilitation on quality of life after hearing loss: a systematic review. Eur Arch oto-rhino-laryngology Off J Eur Fed Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Soc Affil with Ger Soc Oto-Rhino-Laryngology - Head Neck Surg. 2018 Oct;275(10):2435–40.
14. Binos P, Nirgianaki E, Psillas G. How Effec-tive Is Auditory-Verbal Therapy (AVT) for Building Language Development of Children with Cochlear Implants? A Systematic Review. Life (Basel, Switzerland). 2021 Mar;11(3).
15. Baungaard LH, Sandvej MG, Krøijer JS, Hestbæk MK, Samar CF, Percy-Smith L, et al. Auditory verbal skills training is a new ap-proach in adult cochlear implant rehabilitation. Dan Med J. 2019 Mar;66(3).
16. Sorrentino F, Gheller F, Favaretto N, Franz L, Stocco E, Brotto D, et al. Music perception in adult patients with cochlear implant. Hear Bal-anc Commun [Internet]. 2020 Jan 2;18(1):3–7. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/21695717.2020.1719787