Main Article Content
Background: The high mortality rate is influenced by several risk factors, one of which is smoking which is currently the main risk factor for lung cancer. NLR and from peripheral whole blood can be evidence of systemic inflammation and cancer prognostic index.
Aim: The purpose of this study was to determine the characteristics of lung cancer patients based on age, sex, smoking status and NLR in RSSA Malang and the relationship between RNL and smoking status of lung cancer patients in RSSA Malang
Methods: This research method is an analytic observational study using a cross-sectional research design approach. The population of this study were all patients who were diagnosed lung cancer who were treated at RSUD Dr. Saiful Anwar Malang City from January 2021 to March 2022. The sample data is secondary data taken from the medical records of 40 lung cancer patients at RSSA Malang.
Results: The results showed that the characteristics of the subjects were dominated by age <60 years where the smoking status was more recorded in this study with a total of 22 with male sex being more dominant than women with a number of 24 and more recorded as smokers. In this study, NLR values >3.53 were more commonly found in lung cancer patients. The mean in smokers has a higher NLR value of 4.821 ± 3.88 while in non-smokers it has a value of 4.253 ± 3.73.
Conclusion: There is no significant difference and relationship between NLR values in smokers and non-smokers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Zhang N, Jiang J, Tang S, Sun G. Predictive value of neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-lymphocyte ratio in non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitors: a meta-analysis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2020;85:106677.
3. Observatory TGC. Cancer Incident in Indonesia. International Agency for Research on Cancer, editor. 2020. 1–2 p.
4. Soeroso NN, Tanjung MF, Afiani D, Pradana A, Tarigan SP, Wahyuni AS. Procalcitonin level in non-small cell lung cancer patients among Indonesian population. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(11):2123.
5. Permitasari AL, Satibi S, Kristina SA. National burden of cancers attributable to secondhand smoking in Indonesia. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev APJCP. 2018;19(7):1951.
6. Khasanah NA, Oktaviyanti IK, Yuliana I. Hubungan riwayat merokok dan tempat tinggal dengan gambaran sitopatologi kanker paru. Homeostasis. 2019;2(1):93–8.
7. Farver CF, Zander DS. Molecular Basis of Pulmonary Disease. In: Molecular Pathology. Elsevier; 2009. p. 305–64.
8. Mandaliya H, Jones M, Oldmeadow C, Nordman IIC. Prognostic biomarkers in stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR), lymphocyte to monocyte ratio (LMR), platelet to lymphocyte ratio (PLR) and advanced lung cancer inflammation index (ALI). Transl lung cancer Res. 2019;8(6):886.
9. Ozyurek BA, Ozdemirel TS, Ozden SB, Erdogan Y, Kaplan B, Kaplan T. Prognostic value of the neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in lung cancer cases. Asian Pacific J cancer Prev APJCP. 2017;18(5):1417.
10. Diem S, Schmid S, Krapf M, Flatz L, Born D, Jochum W, et al. Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte ratio (NLR) and Platelet-to-Lymphocyte ratio (PLR) as prognostic markers in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with nivolumab. Lung cancer. 2017;111:176–81.
11. Tas F, Ciftci R, Kilic L, Karabulut S. Age is a prognostic factor affecting survival in lung cancer patients. Oncol Lett. 2013;6(5):1507–13.
12. Tatun R, Icksan AG, Syahruddin E, Kekalih A. Gambaran CT Scan Toraks Sesuai dengan Jenis Sitologi/Histologi pada Pasien Kanker Paru yang Merokok. eJournal Kedokt Indones. 2016;
13. Putra AC, Nurwidya F, Andarini S, Zaini J, Syahruddin E, Hudoyo A, et al. Masalah Kanker Paru pada Usia Lanjut. Cermin Dunia Kedokt. 2015;42(11):833–7.
14. Purnamawati P, Tandrian C, Sumbayak EM, Kertadjaja W. Tinjauan Pustaka: Analisis Kejadian Kanker Paru Primer di Indonesia pada Tahun 2014-2019. J Kedokt Meditek. 2021;27(2):164–72.
15. Wulandari F, Utami W, Rohana E, Prabhata WR. Efikasi Terapi Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor-Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor (EGFR-TKIs) pada Kanker Paru. 2021;
16. Ahyati SN, Oktaviyanti IK, Yuliana I. Hubungan Jenis Kelamin dan Riwayat Merokok dengan Mutasi Gen EGFR pada Penderita Kanker Paru Tipe Adenokarsinoma. Homeostasis. 2019;2(1):1–8.
17. Malhotra J, Malvezzi M, Negri E, La Vecchia C, Boffetta P. Risk factors for lung cancer worldwide. Eur Respir J. 2016;48(3):889–902.
18. Pujani M, Chauhan V, Singh K, Rastogi S, Agarwal C, Gera K. The effect and correlation of smoking with platelet indices, neutrophil lymphocyte ratio and platelet lymphocyte ratio. Hematol Transfus Cell Ther. 2021;43:424–9.
19. Nusa GB, Widyastiti NS. Perbedaan neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio pada subjek bukan perokok, perokok ringan dan perokok sedang-berat. DIPONEGORO Med J (JURNAL Kedokt DIPONEGORO). 2016;5(4):903–10.
20. Shimizu K, Okita R, Saisho S, Maeda A, Nojima Y, Nakata M. Preoperative neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio and prognostic nutritional index predict survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2015;13:1–8.